We’re looking for an up-and-coming Derbyshire-based visual artist / filmmaker to create a 10-minute film documenting the work of our artist in residence for this year’s Festival.
WIRKSWORTH FESTIVAL FILM COMMISSION 2021
Deadline – Monday 10 May 2021
Wirksworth Festival is looking for an up-and-coming Derbyshire-based visual artist / filmmaker (for example – a student, recent graduate or artist / filmmaker within a couple of years of starting their practice) to create a 10-minute film documenting the work of our artist in residence for this year’s Festival.
We would like the visual artist / filmmaker to follow the development of our 2021 artist in residence, Liane Lang, who will be living in a cottage on the outskirts of town for the three months leading up to the start of the Festival in September 2021.
We envisage a film showing the artist in residence living and working in the local area, engaging with local people, developing their ideas and hopefully putting together a small exhibition for the Festival in September 2021. The artist will be in residence in July, August and September, the film needs to be complete by the end of August.
The aim of the film is to show how the artist in residence practice feeds into the Festival, enhances what the Festival does and is an inherent part of the whole Festival.
The successful visual artist / filmmaker will be selected by a Festival panel including local filmmaker, Gavin Repton.
£1,000 including any expenses incurred. Fee to be paid 50% at the end of July and 50% at the end of September.
We anticipate this commission to amount to the equivalent of approximately 10 days of work time.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM THE VISUAL ARTIST / FILMMAKER
- A short film of up to 10 minutes
- A 1 minute trailer edit
- Short blog / vlog / Q&A about the making of the film provided by the visual artist / filmmaker
- We will expect to have the opportunity to see at least 2 drafts and be able to provide feedback and changes ahead of completion of the final piece.
- To actively promote the film and the Festival to their contacts
- A willingness to engage with local media should the opportunity arise
HOW TO APPLY
You must be based in Derbyshire and at the start of your career, for example, a student, recent graduate or visual artist / filmmaker within a couple of years of starting your practice.
Please send us a short proposal (up to 300 words) illustrating how you might approach the commission along with your CV and online links to examples of your work. Please send links to 3 examples of your work demonstrating a range of work of different lengths, for example 1 minute, 3 minutes and longer form.
Please send your application to Jenny Babenko at firstname.lastname@example.org by Mon 10 May using ‘2021 Film Commission’ as the subject.
There will be a shortlisting process and potentially a short online interview with the selection panel. Shortlisting will take place w/c 10 May, potential interviews w/c 17 May.
- There is no public transport to the cottage where the artist will be in residence on the outskirts of Wirksworth, so the chosen artist / filmmaker will need to make their own transport arrangements. It is approximately a 30 minute walk from Wirksworth town centre.
- Read more about the Festival’s artist in residence programme
- A member of the Festival team will be your point of contact.
- Local filmmaker, Gavin Repton, has offered to provide a limited amount of advice and support for the chosen artist / filmmaker.
DEADLINE FOR COMPLETION OF WORK
- Short trailer to be sent to Festival team by 20 August
- Completed film with Festival team by 31 August
- Artist /filmmaker to be available for a Member’s preview on Friday 10 September (either on Zoom or as part of live opening event)
If you have any questions about this commission, please contact Jenny Babenko at email@example.com