Terms and Conditions for Applicants
Wirksworth Festival is a registered charity. As part of its objectives, Wirksworth Festival organises a leading rural Arts Festival which takes place annually in the Derbyshire town of Wirksworth.
Run over ten days in September, the Festival embraces performance, theatre, music, film, workshops and community events and on the first weekend the Art & Architecture Trail, a showcase of contemporary art from around the country.
This page sets out the terms and conditions for artists wishing to be part of the Art & Architecture Trail.
By completing the application process through the Festival website (and through any other means where appropriate) the artist applying for the Trail accepts these terms and conditions.
Therefore, it is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure they have read these terms and conditions and understand the conditions under which they are applying and may be accepted into the Trail.
Note: Details of the application process can be found in the Trail Applicant Guidance Notes.
Artist / Work Criteria
- The Trail is open to any practicing artists.
- All work to be exhibited must be the sole work of the artist making the application and they must own the intellectual property for the work to be shown.
- The artist will indemnify the Festival against any claims made by third parties in respect of any infringement.
- The body of the work must have been completed within the 3 years preceding the date of the Festival Trail weekend for that particular year, e.g. for 2020 all work must have been completed after September 2017.
- An artist applying to be part of the designer-maker hall must both design and produce their own work.
- Successful artists will be expected to remain with their work throughout the opening hours of the Trail weekend or nominate somebody to do this on their behalf. Artists are expected to be available to discuss their work.
- Artists will deliver and remove their own work from the allocated venues.
- The management of the application process is the sole responsibility of the Festival.
- The application process for all artists opens on the date as advertised on the website and closes at 10pm on the advertised closing date. No applications will be considered after the closing date and time.
- All applications to exhibit in the Festival must be made and received within the publicised time scale each year.
- An application will only be deemed completed when full monies are paid and cleared and all required information has been received and checked as being in accordance with requirements.
- All applications must be submitted online through the Festival website
- Applicants will fall into the categories below (further details of each category can be found in the Trail Applicant Guidance Notes):
- Wirksworth Artist Exhibiting in their own home
- Visiting Artist
For each artist applying for the Trail the following fees apply
A £10 NON-REFUNDABLE fee is due as part of the application process
(This is used by the Festival to manage the application process including management and costs associated with the website, and scrutiny of each application by the Selection Panel during the process.)
A confirmation fee is due once an artist has been offered a place on the Trail. These stand as:
- Visiting artist – £90
- Wirksworth artist exhibiting in their own home – £35 (see application process for criteria)
- producing a single body of work – £110
- Multiple artists producing their own work but exhibiting as a group – £90 per person
- All fees must be paid by the appropriate deadline.
- Confirmation of the application is not completed until the appropriate registration fee is paid.
- Confirmation onto the Trail once selected is not completed until the appropriate fee is paid.
- The Festival reserves the right to exclude an artists from the selection process or from the Trail in the event of non-payment of the appropriate fee.
- All visitors to the Art & Architecture Trail will be charged an entrance fee for the weekend (under 18s are free). All selected artists will be offered one free entrance wristband to the Trail. Please note only one wristband will be issued per application fee paid.
Commission on Sales
There is NO commission payable for sales made whilst exhibiting at the Trail Weekend OR for sales made as a direct result of exhibiting at the Trail weekend.
- The process will be completed as detailed in the Trail Applicant Guidance Notes.
- The decision of the Selection Panel is final.
- The Festival will not accept appeals from artists who have not been selected.
- Venues will be allocated at the sole discretion of the Festival.
Marketing and Promotion
As part of the artists inclusion in the Trail, the Festival will market the work of the artist through:
- an individual artists page on the Festival website
- the Festival social media channels
- in various Festival printed publications
The Festival will use the images submitted as part of the application process solely to promote Wirksworth Festival as a whole, as well as the artist’s participation in the Festival through the channels listed below and for no other purposes:
- Creating a page on the Festival website for the artists
- Publicising the Festival through social media, online and Festival publications
The copyright of the images at all times remains with the artist and in the event the Festival wishes to use the images for any other reason, the Festival will contact the artists to discuss the planned usage.
- The Festival cannot accept liability for any loss, damage, injury or disappointment incurred as a result of participation in, or other involvement with, the Festival to the fullest extent allowed by law
- The Festival cannot be held liable for any emails sent by The Festival that do not arrive due to the applicants email security settings, restrictions placed by their Internet service provider or any other reason.
- The Festival cannot be held responsible for damage to any computers or other technical equipment relating to, or resulting from participation in the application process.
- All personal details and information provided by artists to the Festival will not be given or shared with any third party and will solely be used by the Festival to administer and promote the Festival and artists participation.
- Where an artist provides a website or social media address the Festival may use that information on its website and in Festival publications both printed and online.
- The Festival retains the rights to amend these terms and conditions as required. In the event of material changes, the artists will be notified in advance.